Poor Service Of Life Saving Appliances (LSA) And Fire Extinguishers UAE On Board The Vessel, As Well As Inadequate Crew Training, Can Lead To PSC Deficiencies, Which Can Lead To Fines Or Unnecessary Ship Delays. All LSA and FFA equipment must be in good and visible working order. LSA and FFA equipment must be readily available for immediate use at all times. In this blog post, we will look at these appliances in detail.
The Life Saving Appliances (LSA) code specifies worldwide standards for the life-saving appliances specified by Solas Chapter 3. It consists of general lifesaving devices, personal lifesaving devices, and distress signaling equipment.
General standards for Life-saving equipment:
– It should not be harmed in the air temperature range of -30°C to +65°C.
– If it is anticipated to be submerged in seawater during usage, operate within the seawater temperature range of -1 to +30 degrees Celsius.
– It should be rot-proof, corrosion-resistant, and not be disproportionately affected by seawater, oil, or fungal assault
– Provide good resistance to sunlight and degradation
– It should be of a highly visible color on all surfaces
– It should be fitted with retro-reflective material to help in identification according to the recommendation
List of Life Saving appliances on board ships:
- Lifejackets and lifebuoys
- Immersion suits, anti-exposure suits, and thermal protective equipment
- Boats for search and rescue
- Flares from rocket parachute
- Flares of hand
- Smoke signals that are buoyant
- Appliances for launching and embarking
- Evacuation methods for ships
- Appliances that throw lines
- Alarm system for all types of emergencies
Fire is every seamen’s worst nightmare because it is the leading cause of shipwrecks. Only if a ship is built according to the fire safety system code may it sail on international seas (FFA code). It is critical that all fire fighting equipment be approved by the appropriate authority. Marine Shipping Equipment can be divided into four categories for simple recall: fire extinguishers, fireman’s uniforms, crucial appliances, and constructional modifications.
List of Fire Fighting appliances on board ships:
- Fire detection and alarm systems that are permanently installed
- Gas fire-extinguishing systems that are permanently installed
- Doors that are resistant to fire
- General alarm and public address systems
- Breathing equipment
- Sprinkler systems, water mist, and water spray
- Lightening in a low-lying area
- Fire – hydrants/ mains/ pumps, hoses & nozzles
- CO2 extinguishing systems that are permanently installed
- Systems for extinguishing fires with foam
- Firefighter uniforms
- Dry chemical powder systems that are fixed
- Extinguishing systems for aerosols that are permanently installed
- Foam applicators on wheels
- Fire extinguishers on wheels
- Fire dampers and ventilation systems